Why is PackageKit needed for abrt?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Dec 13 18:02:00 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 06:21 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> This may already be inhibiting the provision of some fraction of
> important abrt entries? It would be interesting to hear other people's
> view on this aspect?

In some cases, that might even be a good thing, IMAO.  As I mentioned in
another thread, I'm one of over a hundred people who's reported to
Bugzilla about alacarte crashing every time it starts.  That could be a
good thing, because it means that there's lots of data available and
information about how it crashed on various systems, but it's not.  Most
of the comments simply say, "I tried to run it and it crashed," or, "It
crashed," or something similarly uninformative.  I don't know how we can
get users to do better, but if the amount of data abrt wants to download
first discourages some of the less communicative users, it may not be
the worst thing in the world.