gnome 2.3 desktop shows home/me not home/me/Desktop

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:05:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> While prepping my machine to give to repair folk, I was cleaning things up
> and suddenly, on a fresh login, the screen is displaying the contents of
> home as opposed to home's Desktop folder. I know what happened ... I
> accidentally deleted Desktop rather than the contents. Creating a new
> Desktop didn't solve the problem.
>
> Went through gnome 2.3 docs online and looked for dot files that had changed
> dates to reflect a change around when I made my mistake.
>
> Any idea what I need to do to restore original behavior?

IIRC you can run "gconf-editor" and look in the "nautilus" folder
under "apps" and there's a setting for the path of the folder that is
displayed on the desktop.  If it's not there, it's somewhere to be
found in gconf-editor.

Unfortunately, I don't have a F14 box handy and GNOME 3 doesn't even
have a desktop, so I can't go looking for it ATM.

-T.C.