Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 23 16:14:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 00:07 +0900, 夜神 岩男 wrote:

> The plants aren't destroyed, just mushy and dirty. I just happened to be
> there the other day. Wet, yes, but for the most part everything is
> intact and accounted for. Anyway, the goings on didn't stop a bunch of
> Thaksinites from getting all crazy near Lumpini and having a rally while
> I was there -- and having been around the place more than a little over
> the last decade I'd say that's a healthy indication that there is plenty
> of (local, at least) motivation to get back on track making money again.
----
not disputing your characterization but aren't hard drives manufactured
inside 'clean rooms' where even small bits of dust are endemic?
----
> The market will change eventually, but it is extremely early in the game
> to be proclaiming the actual end of spinning disk media. We're more than
> a few years away from that, so the factories will get cleaned and put
> back into operation as soon as possible. I didn't make it all the way to
> see how things are in Ayutthaya, but my friends tell me folks had
> already barriered, bildged and were cleaning some places around there.
>
> Pictures of water look really neat in media, I think. The reality is
> nearly everybody is finding a way around the mess to carry on with life
> (the busses are even still running, though it looks comical somtimes in
> 50cm of water, but that's not *everywhere*, actually). Farmers will have
> a bumper crop next year, in any event...
----
very often floods leave toxins and move topsoil and the short term
effects of floods on farmland is not ever really predictable.

Craig

believed to be clean.