more than one bridge

Hiisi hiisi at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 28 04:01:00 UTC 2011

On 28 December 2011 07:21, Rick Sewill <rsewill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 06:59:53 AM Hiisi wrote:

>> > Add the second machine to the same bridge.
>

>> Hi, Sam!
>
>> Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
>
>> create more than one bridge on one interface?
>

> Have you looked into using VLANs?
>

> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_network, a few paragraphs down,
>
> "VLANs (Virtual LANs) are logical LAN's (Local Area Networks), based on
> physical LAN's. A VLAN can be created by partitioning a physical LAN into
> multiple logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID. Alternatively, several
> physical LAN's can function as a single logical LAN. The partitioned network
> can be on a single router, or multiple VLAN's can be on multiple routers
> just as multiple physical LAN's would be. A VLAN can be on a VPN."
>

> Your question sounds similar to "partitioning a physical LAN into multiple
>
> logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID."
>

> Can someone, who has used VLANs recently,
>
> comment if this approach will do what the OP wants,
>
> and help with the configuration on Linux if the OP wants to try it?
>

> Last time I used VLANs was the late 1990's...on a SOHO (FlowPoint) router.
>
> I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and would have to test any "help" I might offer.
>

> --

Hi, Rick.
Although I've already configured network access for virtual machines
using VirtualBox capabilities to brige host network interface, it
seems than VLAN-approach is also possible. A fast google reveals many
results on VLAN configuration (for example, I've found this link:
http://www.stg.net/vlanbridge ).
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.