Fusion Linux going Mono free?

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 07:10:26 UTC 2011

http://fusionlinux.org/2011/07/05/fusion-linux-going-mono-free/

As you probably know Fusion Linux is a Fedora Remix that uses quite a
few Mono based applications. We had requests in the past to remove all
Mono based apps from Fusion Linux, but those were no constructive
criticism and suggestions but just bunch of people shouting “We hate
mono”.

 Apps that were supposed to replace Mono based ones were non-existent
or if they existed they were nowhere near the Mono based ones
regarding quality and features. We didn’t see any point in removing
apps and disabling features that our users want just because of some
Mono haters are out there are shouting “We hate mono”, and they
weren’t even using Fusion Linux!
 If they were Fusion Linux users then we would listen to them and work
together with moving away from Mono.

 Biggest issue I have with Mono is the size of Mono library that needs
to be installed as a dependency for any of the apps – Gnome-Do,
Tomboy, F-Spot, Beagle or Banshee. So there is no point if you replace
4 out of 5 because you still have Mono library installed.

 The good news is that I might have found replacement for the last
Mono based app that I didn’t find before – Gnome-Do.

 Today I have discovered Synapse written by Michal Hruby written in
Vala. I’ll be testing Synapse to see how it works, if you have used
both Gnome-Do and Synapse please share your feedback on both.

 Here is the list of alternatives that I have found so far, please
post any other in the comments if you know:

 Tomboy – GNote
 Gnome-Do – Synapse
 Banshee – Rhythmbox
 Beagle – Tracker
 F-Spot – Shotwell

Also please post in the comments if you agree or disagree with the
move away from Mono, also write in the comments if you are Fusion,
Fedora, Ubuntu or user of any other distro.

Difference between Mono and non Mono replacement is around 110 MB:

# yum remove mono-core
 Remove 34 Package(s)
 Installed size: 141 M

# yum install gnote synapse rhythmbox shotwell
 Install 11 Package(s)
 Total download size: 8.8 M
 Installed size: 29 M

--
follow me - www.twitter.com/valentt & http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com
linux, anime, spirituality, wireless, scuba, linuxmce smart home, zwave
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic, MSN: valent.turkovic at hotmail.com