Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 20:41:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 12:53 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta at hanzlici.cz> wrote:
> > Tim wrote:
> >> I don't...  They all (Linux too) seem to be heading for being some sort
> >> of iPad clone.  Being all the more inappropriate for trying to use a
> >> touch-screen type of interface, when you don't have a touch-screen.
> >>
> >> They're also being painful as far as multi-tasking is concerned.
> >> Wacking great big oversized GUIs for things, so you can't use two or
> >> three applications side by side.  You have to window shuffle.
> >>
> >> Starting things from the icons on the desktop background, so you have to
> >> get your windows out of the way to get to the icons.  Having to search
> >> for your program, because there isn't a structured menu (either one
> >> that's categorised, or one that doesn't keep re-arranging the order that
> >> things and jumbled together).
> >
> > This is exactly one what I think about Gnome 3 - maybe good for
> > PADs, but tedious for power desktop users with many installed and
> > simultaneously running apps.
> > Golden Gnome 2!
>
> Gnome 2 is now offically dead.
>
> Now, back to what I said earlier.  YOU, the Linux user, have a CHOICE
> of desktop/window managers.  YOU should avail yourself of this
> feature.  If you want to 'resurect' Gnome2, you are more than welcome
> to.  It is after all, GPL/LGPL licensed and you should be free to spin
> off whatever you want.  However, do not expect the Gnome support team
> to help in your efforts.
>
> For all concerned:  The goal behind some of the moves you folks see in
> desktops is to move more users to Linux vice 'that other stuff'.  This
> means making things familiar to those folks.  I really would like for
> the old projects to be continued for us older 'power users' and new
> desktops to be introduced for those who need/desire those features.  I
> did not like what happened when Windows95 introduced the 'Start'
> button feature.  Over the years, I grew used to this.  I still think
> that the idea is 'stupid' but I now understand why this happened.  And
> I was and remain a command line power guru.
>
> James McKenzie

I agree with you that Gnome2 is dead but someone has to explain why a
feature like holding the ALT key is necessary to power off in the  User
Menu. It seems to me there was room in the original list for a Power off
option.

I think that there is general agreement among the majority of F15 users
other than the Gnome developers that there are aspects of Gnome3 that
are just plain screwy.
A gift of a flower will soon be made to you.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net