Java Gnome 3 maximized window mouse bugs

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 05:06:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Mark Eggers <mdeggers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's what I observed under Gnome 3.
>
> In both Nimbus and the GTK look and feel, horizontal mouse pointer
> positioning is off visually to the right. This means that if you click
> on the Edit main menu in Netbeans, the Edit menu will flash briefly,
> and then the File menu will open.
>
> If you're careful about where you place the mouse pointer, you can
> actually get the right menu to open. This appears to be a fixed width
> issue. For example, when I use Nimbus LAF to run Netbeans, I can put
> the mouse pointer in between the Edit and View menu items and get the
> Edit menu to appear (and stick). If I place the mouse pointer on the
> "w" of the View menu item, then I can get the View menu to appear (and
> stick).
>
> This horizontal positioning problem does not happen when I unmaximize
> the window.
>
> Vertical positioning seems to be fine.

Interesting.
In my experience (IntelliJ IDEA, soapUI) the problems while running
swing apps maximized where:

1. If I single-click a menu in the menu bar, the menu will flash
briefly and disappears (instead of staying opened).
2. If I click and hold on a menu in the menu bar, the menu stays
opened, but the selection is vertically displaced (I have to move the
mouse to the third menu item to select the first one, for example).
3. If I right-click to access a context-menu, the selection is
displaced as described in the previous case).

And a very minor annoyance: Gnome3 relies on the x-windows WM_CLASS
property to track applications instead of windows (see
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased).
Java swing apps, as far I can tell, don't set this property as gnome3
expects (which means the gnome3 keeps opening new instances of the app
every time I click the shortcut).

I'll submit the bug to openjdk and see how it goes.

--
Ricardo Veguilla González
veguilla at gmail.com