Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 09:01:51 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 09:39 AM, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 04:47am on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 (UK time), Mark Eggers scrawled:
>
>> My only issue with alt-tab is when I have more than one window open
>> for a particular program. I then have to use the arrow keys to select
>> the right window.
>
> If you install gnome-shell-extentions-alternate-tab this will revert
> alt-tab to the old behaviour, without the need to vertically switch when
> you have more than one instance of an application.

You can also use alt-backtick to cycle between instances of the same
application. It took me a little while to get used to but I'm actually quite
liking it now.

E.g if I have several instances of gnome-terminal and firefox running I'll use
alt-tab to select terminal or browser and then shift my ring finger up one key
to cycle the instances with alt-`.

Regards,
Bryn.