Protected WLAN

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:29:27 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 01:56 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 11:45 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>   So, turning off SSID broadcast is really not a good suggestion.
>
> If you have only one access point and no devices that insist on getting
> the SSID before connecting turning off SSID broadcast does have the same
> effect as a No Trespassing sign: it tells random strangers to stay away.
>   If they ignore your sign they can't claim that "I didn't know I wasn't
> welcome." because they've been warned.  Yes, it doesn't keep them away
> but it may make it easier to prosecute them if they get caught.
> Granted, that's not likely to be a consideration for your average home
> user, but it might be for a small to medium business.

I would think that using any of the encryption methods available on
a router would do a much better job of that. Especially for Windows
users that get the little lock symbol in the information bar for
that access point.

All I can see turning off the SSID broadcast does it make it more
difficult for legitimate users...

Mikkel