Little Yellow Boxes

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 13 17:56:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 17:05 +0000, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Saturday 12 Nov 2011 18:40:20 Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Ever since my upgrade to Fedora-16, whenever I center click on the
> > background of KDE running the activity "Search and Launch" I get a small
> > yellow box at the bottom of the screen, just above the panel.  Does
> > anyone know what these boxes are (i.e. what application they are
> > associated with), or how to get rid of them.  They appear to be part of
> > some kind of note system; right clicking them gives an editing menu; the
> > color is the same as a box generated by knotes.  Because I have a slight
> > tremor in my fingers, I have now accumulated 22 of these boxes and 2
> > small small Konqueror icons (where these came from is a total mystery),
> > all of which I would like to get rid of.  KDE version is 4.7.2.
> >
> > An image is attached.
> >
> > Thanks for your help - jon
>
> They are little "post it" notes, in your desktop settings under "mouse
> actions" your middle mouse button is set to "paste", so when you middle click
> on the desktop it pastes the current clip board contents into a "post it" note

I thought as much.

> depending on whats in your clip board at the time it should ask if you want to
> add a note or a webslice or an image.

That too.

> anyway, just disable the paste option from your middle click button in desktop
> settings, then just delete the notes as any other plasmoid widget

Center click is one of my favorite tools, so I don't want to disable it
right now.

Deleting a note isn't so easy; there's been a fair amount of discussion
on the web about how to remove widgets, none of it informative.  I would
have thought that if a note is right clicked, a menu would appear with
an option to delete the note.  When I right click one of these notes a
menu does appear with many options for editing the note, but no option
to delete it.  An ordinary note is larger and has a border at the
bottom, which when right clicked produces a option to delete it.

Further advice is solicited.

Thanks very much - jon