Speeding up boot (was: Fedora - time to blink)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:43:40 UTC 2011

On 23 November 2011 22:20, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> This trick from Lennart's article might be useful:
> $ systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
> $ eog plot.svg
>
> (For instance I have to figure out why netfs and iscsi are being
> started on my machine.)
>
> Overall speed, I did a RAM upgrade to my machine yesterday and noticed
> I didn't have RAM running dual channel, turning that on seemed to make
> a big improvement to startup speed, will have to time it when I get a
> chance and see if it's real.

Just following this up: boot time (according to systemd analyze,
getting to gdm takes a few seconds longer), was 88s and 91s without
and with dual-channel respectively, so no real difference (the
discrepancy was due to different mount times, which I guess will
actually be slightly different HD settle times). On the other hand,
disabling iscsi and netfs, and adding the fstab option
comment=systemd.automount for my ntfs volume cut boot time to 47s.
Udev-settle remains the biggest offender and after that akmod.service,
but I don't feel the need to disable that for a few seconds gain when
starting a desktop machine.

--
imalone