restricted shell

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Oct 17 20:36:33 UTC 2011

On 10/17/2011 01:27 PM, Hugh Caley wrote:
> Not precisely what you are requesting, but the "sudo" command could be
> used to allow your admin root access to certain commands only.

Yes.  In fact, I'm fairly sure that this is exactly what it was written
for in the first place.  Using it in place of su for general system
administration is a later adaptation[1] of the command.  I'm presuming
that you want certain users to have access to all of the regular
commands plus a small subset of administrative commands.  If so, sudo is
the best way to go.

[1]or perversion, as purists would have it