How to copy text selected by gpm from a tty to some gnome-session?

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Thu Apr 12 16:21:36 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 07:30 AM, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:52:16 +0200
> Joachim Backes<joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>  wrote:
>
>> a little question: I copy some text on a tty console by gpm, and I
>> want to paste this text into some gnome/kde session. How to do this
>> without using some file?
>
> If I understand your question, I've never been able to get this to work.
> I think the context for gpm is erased or reset when switching from
> consoles to X and vice versa.  I haven't actually researched what
> actually happens, so there could be an answer to your question, and I
> look forward to hearing it if there is.

The cut/paste buffer for gpm is maintained by gpm and is a separate
space from the cut/paste buffer provided by your desktop manager. They
aren't designed to share data. I suppose they could by using some
shared memory segment with a well-known handle or something, but
currently they're entirely separate.