Best variant of Fedora for a Virtual Machine...?

And Kemp a.p.kemp21 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 17:17:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm currently trying to study for the LPIC-1 Linux certification exam
and part of it is to familiarize oneself with the different software
management utilities.  To this end I've tried to download and install
64-bit Fedora versions on a virtual machine.  The version for Gnome just
will not install, so moving down the list of options, I stumble upon the
KDE version, download and install.  So far, so good...

To practice prior to my exam I would like to be able to enter commands
at the command line: obtaining (separate) terminal windows using KDE
comes across as clunky (I usually use Ubuntu - sorry!). Whilst
<CNTRL><ALT><F2> to enter a full terminal screen is straightforward,
it's not helpful (to me at least) in terms of being able to switch
between panes (I generally like a lot of them for things like man pages,
different directories, etc.). Konqueror, Konsole and all other thinks,
"K" start off as being chipper but after a day, not so much...  Access
via the main menu is now becoming more than tiresome.

I've trawled through the documentation as best I can (all I want is a
couple of meaningful shortcut icons on a desktop - hardly a mammoth
operation to my mind) in terms of, "getting started" but creating icons
comes across as an insurmountable problem (That whole, "create shortcut
on desktop" option just doesn't work on my installation .  The shortcut
appears: does it run when clicked? Does it cuckoo...).  Simple things
like mounting the CD drive from a command line can be summarized,
according to my impression of Google forum replies, as, "RTFM!
RTFM!...  It's automatic (the only thing missing here is, 'You
idiot')!".  [Note: It's *NOT* automatic; nor is in any manual I could
locate: one has to create a device folder (at least, that's how I fixed
the problem in the end, having tried (and failed) to adopt the "Fedora
way", assuming there is such a thing!)]  Part of this familiarization
process is the reason I downloaded Fedora in the first place, but as a
general-purpose (Ubuntu) Linux user, don't really expect to have to read
through the entire manual to be unable to accomplish the simplest tasks
for a variant of an OS I'm relatively comfortable with.

In terms of rpm / yum, it's mainly plain sailing, but I'm having an
issue which don't appear to be addressed effectively from google
searches: I try and query packages (using -qv) to be informed that the
package is not installed.  I try and install it to be informed it's
already installed!  Any advise you can offer in this regard would be
gratefully received.

Equally, I (over?)looked the FAQs for this mailing list, so my pitiful
cry for advise in terms of a palatable variant of Fedora may well be a
case of, "RTFM, ..."

Finally(!) a question: At the risk of opening a kettle of worms [can of
worms / kettle of fish] I believe I'm having a poor Fedora experience
because of my being unable to adopt a KDE mindset (correctly?).  I
believe I've missed something really 'obvious' with regards to the UI.
Is it possible to eliminate KDE or should I attempt a different
download?  Which would you recommend?  Am I creating problems for myself
by selecting a 64-bit installation or should I go with 32-bit?

Hope you can help.

Thanks for reading,

Best wishes,

And Kemp.