Unable to connect to scanner

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu Aug 23 01:11:12 UTC 2012

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro L7590 all-in-one unit.  Until yesterday I was
able to use it to scan via xsane (and using that, in GIMP).  As of
yesterday, however, I get the following error:

Failed to open device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.1.128':
End of file reached

That is indeed the correct IP address, as confirmed on the unit itself.
 It is reachable from my computer.  It's not as if I can even get a
dialog or setup anywhere to choose or set up the scanner.

I do seem to get a command-line/console error on gnome-keyring; however,
I am using LXDE at the moment.  That said, it is pointing to an
incorrect directory (/run/user/don/keyring-xxxxxxx/pkcs11 where the
xxxxxxx is incorrect).  A correct directory exists.  I don't think this
is the problem, however, as if I run xsane as root I get the same xsane
error but no gnome-keyring error.

I do have a ~/.sane/xsane/directory with xsane.rc, xsane.mdf, and
Hewlett-Packard:Officejet_Pro_L7500.drc, and while the files look whole
I really can't tell.

I an running F17 3.5.2-1 x86-64
xsane 0.998-10

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance,