Print problems in AdobeReader (F16)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 15:10:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 10:11 +0100, David Jansen wrote:
> Well, this may not be the perfect place to ask about a closed-source
> program, but I'm probably not the only one installing AdobeReader
> (acroread) on a Linux system.
> Ever since installing Fedora 16, AdobeReader's print properties dialogue
> is unusable: no options visible, and the line displaying the print
> command is no longer editable. Everything else works, displaying PDFs,
> and printing using the "custom" printer and specifying the lpr options
> manually. But that is of course not very convenient.
>
> Problem is the same whether I install AdobeReader for rpm
> (AdobeReader_enu-9.4.6-1.i486) or from the tar file. The same versions
> of AdobeReader work fine on Fedora 14 and 15 (and RHEL 5 and 6). So I
> guess there is something that changed in the libraries this program
> uses. Or perhaps, since it is only the print dialog that is flawed, in
> the interaction with cups.
> In case it matters: the Fedora machines are set up with cups just
> pointing to a central print server running RHEL 6.
>
> Yes, all PDFs I have work just fine in evince or okular, so it's no big
> deal. But sometimes there are those nasty things like pdf forms that
> don't really work in the open source viewers, so a solution would be
> welcome.
>
> David Jansen

I sort of fall between the OP and Ed. If you have spaecified a specific
printer then in the Properties menu you can't change the lpr line both
in F14 and F16. If you choose a Custom printer you don't get a
Properties menu but you do get a lpr line in which you can type any
parameters you want.

I assume that is because the with a specific printer your lpr parameters
are predetermined.

I don't understand the following statement,
In case it matters: the Fedora machines are set up with cups just
pointing to a central print server running RHEL 6.8

How are you doing that? Is the print server on a different subnet?
Aliquid melius quam pessimum optimum non est.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net