Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:53:39 UTC 2012

Tommy, you are exactly right on all of your points.

The Fedora people say that they would rather not go back to the times of
compatibility lists to find out what hardware worked with the system.

I'd rather go back to compatibility lists and give my gold to whichever
hardware manufacturer caters to my needs than give MS the kind of veto
power they would have with secure boot as currently defined.

JP

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> > William. The operating word here is Tiviozation.
> > You can compile the kernel but you can't run it on the system. That is
> the
> > threat GPL3 is trying to counteract.
> > By creating "valid" kernels, by definition "not valid kernels" cannot
> run.
> >

> I thought one of the MAJOR the points of using Linux and Unix is the
> ability of the Sys Admin to custom compile the kernel to lessen the
> vulnerability and to enhance performance by reducing the memory foot
> print and number of code execution.  Furthermore, am I wrong to
> misinterpret that Open Source would permit the consumer (ie, us) to
> tweak and use as we see fit for our own personal reasons yet non
> destructive towards others.  If we are barred from that customization,
> what's the point of Open Source?
> --

 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at gmail.com