Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 15 21:48:28 UTC 2012

Olav Vitters writes:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:27:22AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Olav Vitters writes:
> >
> > >You're very demanding and call people "royal highnesses". Sure seems
> > >like you seem obliged that people do what you think is right (other
> > >idea? wrong!) on a timeframe that you think is correct.
> > >
> > >Anyway, there I go again, being a royal highness :P
> >
> > Well, you've pretty much ignored everything else I wrote. Including,
> > specifically, the reason why the shoe fits, here. Really, can't see
> > a better way to prove my point.
>
> Of course I am here to fix your every problem. And of course I am not
> doing the adult thing.
>
> Just kidding. Yes, GNOME shell using 40% CPU and so on is not nice and

This was only mentioned briefly in the last paragraph of my message, most of
which was about the monitor DPI resolution breakage.

> should be fixed. However, your argumentation is weak. There are loads of
> ideas and loads of bugs that haven't been fixed. Turning that into proof
> that GNOME/developers/etc must be "XXX"... cannot take such
> argumentation seriously...
>
> Saying things like "adult thing to do"... blergh.

That was not said about the gnome-shell eating 40% CPU, by the way.

But, I'm afraid I simply don't know how else to describe it, when it's now
two years and counting, since a setting was needed in custom.conf that gdm
itself doesn't really need to do anything with, except to pass it along as
an additional option to Xorg. What even makes it more depressing, IIRC, the
setting was there in the first place, for many years, before it was thrown
away to prevent all the stupid and dumb users from doing The Wrong Thing,
since gdm now knows better than them:

root      1535  1517  0 Jun09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-simple-
slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Display1
root      1541  1535  1 Jun09 tty1     02:17:35 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -background
none -logverbose 7 -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-weJJt3/database -seat
seat0 -nolisten tcp vt1

If that's the options that Xorg needs to get started with, by gdm, then they
just have to be right, don't you know? If someone needs to have -dpi 140
added to them, and the user is willing to manually edit a conf file, and put
it there – well then, the user must be WRONG, no doubt about it, and gdm
must prevent the user from making a horrible mistake like that, until this
can be fixed the proper way, perhaps in another three years.

At least that was my interpretation of the few sentences worth of a reply
from Gnome, on this issue.

Understood. It took me a while, but I was finally enlightened. I finally
figured out why it's not really a bug – it's because NoSquint can be
easily installed in Firefox. Looks like most folks affected by this have
figured out the workaround for Firefox, given the stats on mozilla.org; and
all other apps that need to run under Gnome can simply implement the same
workaround, by themselves. Having every appp implement a version of NoSquint
makes so much more sense than gdm passing through the right option to Xorg!