rights messed up after moving installation

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Nov 9 17:37:53 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 02:26 AM, lee issued this missive:
> Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> writes:
>
>> On 11/07/2012 01:02 PM, lee wrote:
>>
>>> ... which is sometimes a little difficult to handle when one doesn't
>>> read the manpage ;)
>>
>> Reading random manpages is a good habit. :-)
>> You often discover useful things.
>> For example, how many people did ever read the manpage for "cat"?
>
> It says -u is ignored.
>
> Which manpage(s) do I need to read to find out what makes the HDD light
> blink regularly though none of the devices connected to the controller
> the light is for is mounted?  Something might be polling the DVD drives,
> and I don't want that.  I can't see what it is ...

I don't understand why that bothers you so much. However, depending on
your desktop, turn off the various automount options for media (CD,
DVD, USB drives, cameras, etc.). Under XFCE, it's

     Applications Menu->Settings->Removable Drives and Media

Make sure all the mount options are turned off in all the tabs. That
may not stop all the polling...several of the kernel storage device
modules poll periodically and there's not much you can do about that.