rights messed up after moving installation

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Fri Nov 9 19:39:04 UTC 2012

Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> writes:

> On 11/09/2012 02:26 AM, lee issued this missive:
>> Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> writes:

>>> Reading random manpages is a good habit. :-)
>>> You often discover useful things.
>>> For example, how many people did ever read the manpage for "cat"?
>>
>> It says -u is ignored.
>>
>> Which manpage(s) do I need to read to find out what makes the HDD light
>> blink regularly though none of the devices connected to the controller
>> the light is for is mounted?  Something might be polling the DVD drives,
>> and I don't want that.  I can't see what it is ...
>
> I don't understand why that bothers you so much.

The light is blinking and it's wasting resources for something I neither
want nor need.  The SATA controllers and the polled drives could go into
sleep mode if they weren't polled, and I like to be in control of my
computer and knowing what's going on.

> However, depending on
> your desktop, turn off the various automount options for media (CD,
> DVD, USB drives, cameras, etc.). Under XFCE, it's
>
>     Applications Menu->Settings->Removable Drives and Media
>
> Make sure all the mount options are turned off in all the tabs. That
> may not stop all the polling...several of the kernel storage device
> modules poll periodically and there's not much you can do about that.

Hmm, I didn't enable any automount options, and I'm using startx to
start my X-session (with fvwm).  How do I turn all these options off?

The kernel shouldn't be polling every second, if at all.  I've had the
same problem with Debian, and by modifying an udev rule I was able to
turn the polling off.  With Fedora, I can't even see what might be doing
the polling since nothing that seems to be related shows up in the
output of ps, and related udev rules don't seem to exist.  So it's
something hidden which does it.

,----
| -bash-4.2$ ps xua |grep udisk
| root      6703  0.0  0.0 195612  3704 ?        Sl   Nov08   0:02 /usr/libexec/udisks-daemon --no-debug
| root      6719  0.0  0.0  47500   516 ?        S    Nov08   0:00 udisks-daemon: not polling any devices
| root     16971  0.0  0.0 372556  6120 ?        Ssl  12:43   0:05 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
| lee      22582  0.0  0.0 109404   816 pts/4    S+   20:29   0:00 grep --color=auto udisk
| -bash-4.2$
`----

Is there an overview of all the services that are enabled by default
after installing Fedora and what they are doing?  Perhaps one of the
things listed with "systemctl list-units" makes the HDD led flash, and
it could be something else than DVD drives being polled.

--
Fedora 17