DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 11 20:54:32 UTC 2012

Am 11.11.2012 21:50, schrieb Bob Goodwin - Zuni:

>> maybe you have a crappy ISP which blocks DNS if it is
>> not their own one - let me guess: USA, here in europe
>> it is absolutely no probem to setup a dns-server which
>> does recursion and never tocuhes any ISp crap, some
>> providers think they knpw better what their users nedd
>>

>    Yes but even then that should not prevent me from using my own
>    nameserver?
>
>    I always used other dns servers, recently opendns, until March when
>    this high speed satellite service became available and eventually I
>    found that it was not using my opendns but it's own! And as you say
>    it's crappy ... This is a holiday weekend and it may not get fixed
>    for a couple of days?  Aargh!

if your ISP decides to setup a transparent DNS proxy
or block port 53 to DNS servers which are not his you
are out of opttions except wsitch to another ISP and
amek sure he decides not the same way some moths later

here where i live this all is theory, but i am aware
that in other countries this things are normal as like
power outages which are also unknown here most of the time