DNS problems this morning -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 11 21:08:56 UTC 2012

On 11/11/12 15:54, Reindl Harald wrote:
> if your ISP decides to setup a transparent DNS proxy
> or block port 53 to DNS servers which are not his you
> are out of opttions except wsitch to another ISP and
> amek sure he decides not the same way some moths later
>
> here where i live this all is theory, but i am aware
> that in other countries this things are normal as like
> power outages which are also unknown here most of the time

If I use 74.125.239.9 I  get google.com so it seems logical that
my own name server would provide 74.125.239.9 and I would go to Google?

    [bobg at box7 ~]$ nslookup google.com
    Server:        192.168.1.1
    Address:    192.168.1.1#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    google.com
    Address: 74.125.239.9
    Name:    google.com
    Address: 74.125.239.14

We are in a rural are here but fortunately rarely have power failures.
Occasionally there will be a transient, lights may blink, but the UPS's
handle that and they are hardly noticed. If power fails we have a motor
generator for backup.
.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD