dynamic ip ok for NFS/LDAP servers? Network Gurus?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 30 16:45:37 UTC 2012

Am 30.11.2012 17:35, schrieb Jack Craig:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The following strikes me as wrong, but i am Not  guru,
> so i thought to ask this forum where the wizards Do Live! :)
>
> Pls consider a configuration with a single host providing NFS4
> /home directories for other hosts in a 6 host cluster. Further,
> openldap is on the same host to provide for authentication
> on all 6.
>
> the architect says its ok to configure all hosts w/DHCP,
> but i see the ip changing every day or 2 (many reboots due setup).
>
> I am a huge fan of static ip for servers, but what do i know?! :(
>
> So, Question, is DHCP ok for the 6 hosts in this config, or go static.
> More, static on server only maybe?

for servers dynamic addresses?
WTF?

but you can satisfy both with dhcpd and controll
this way any ip-address dynamically

i am doing this even in bigger setups for any known client machine
and generate dhcpd.conf based on my dns-database which has a column
for the hwaddress

host printer {

 hardware ethernet 00:17:A4:6E:2E:95;
 fixed-address 192.168.2.10;