att-uverse new, can't access internet

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:48:30 UTC 2012

Rob, thanks for your response;
You are making me a believer in DHCP.
Will try your suggestion later today.

Nitpicks:

>> And I much prefer static IP for f16.
>> the network 192.168.2.0 is also
>> used in configs of [previously used]
>>    :linksys router
>>    :netgear wless access point,
>>

>You should really lose your obsession with static configuration because
>it leads to exactly the problem you are having....
>As to why it worked before probably has to do with why you had two
>routers in your house - linksys and netgear - each managing their own
>network - or worse fighting with each other.

the netgear is a  wireless access point,
used only for wireless connection of a laptop.
When the laptop was ethernet connected to the linksys router,
the netgear access point was not doing anything,
so the idea they were fighting each other I think is not the case.
Regardless, the laptop and netgear had not been used for
last 2-3 years, so I don't need to fuss with them right now.

Are you implying that if I do get uverse working, that
I won't need the netgear access point at all?, i.e.,
that the uverse modem will handle laptop when wanting to use it wireless?

Re your parents' uverse:  are they running linux?

Are you running linux under uverse?

Do you know of specific cases where uverse and linux work successfully?
The att phone reps are very pessimistic, going so far as saying:
"it may be that uverse and linux are simply incompatible."

Thanks again,
I will get back to the list later today I hope.

Jack