First f17 install -- on an ee701

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Oct 31 19:43:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:22:55PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have 1Gb of memory upgrade, so I have enough memory.  My SSD is only
> 4Gb, but I have a 16GB SD card.

I've got F17 installed on my eeepc 901, the model that originally came
with their brain-dead version of Linux, and therefore has 20 gigs
(total) of SSD (whereas the Windoze version only has 16). F17
installs fine on it, without (as far as I can remember, it having
been several months) any undue problems.

> So the SSD is setup for /boot with 300Mb, swap with 1.6Gb and the rest
> is /var.  The SD is /

This machine has a 4 gig (C:) and a 16 gig (D:), and I let the installer
choose LVM, merging the two SSDs together into a single 20 gig partition.
I'd prefer to have the 4 and 16 gig units as separate partitions, but
there's no way a reasonably complete system will fit on a 4 gig drive.
I tried it in earlier versions (F12/13/14). The 4 gig SSD is considerably
faster (well, less slow) than the 16, so the system feels more responsive
when the bulk of the system is installed there. Using the LVM gives you no
way to ensure it installs system components on the faster part of the
20 gig LVM.

> The challenge with the install is the small screen size.  I complained
> about this and submitted a bug on it with f14 (which was the only
> install I have made on this ee701).  Apparently the developers did not

You're aware that you can drag an APP window around on the screen by clicking
anywhere within it while holding down ALT? This lets you slide the top of
the window off the screen so you can see the buttons at the bottom.

> feel it necessary to do anything about adjusting the dialog sizes to the
> actual screen size.  For the most part I was able to guess what keys to
> hit for the buttons cut off below the bottom of the screen.  I could not
> see how to setup a LVM on the SD, so it is just and ext4 partition.
> Also I could not go into customizing the packages for the install and
> although I did provide my local repos so I grabbed all the updates right
> off, I had to just go with the standard graphic desktop package install....
>
> Next I will have to do the gnome 3 customizations.  Though I MIGHT just
> leave it for the defaults for a while, rather than all the customzations
> I did for this f16 notebook a year ago.  I actually would like to wait
> for f18 for upgrading my main notebook; I kind of like skipping releases...

I tried Gnome 3, but can't really say I like it. I'm currently using
MATE (which comes from a separate REPO, but I've heard will be officially
in F18), which acts very much like Gnome 2. (but there seems to be a
shorter list of panel applets, for example.)

> Anyway.  so far so good.

Glad to hear it even CAN be installed on a 701! :)

How's performance?

The 901 takes only 5-7 seconds to suspend, and 4-5 to come back to life.
going to hibernate is slower, but still considerably faster than a
shudown/reboot cycle.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us