F20 in VirtualBox VM

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 20 16:20:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 09:53 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 12/20/13 09:26, Greg Woods wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 08:04 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.  Been installing and testing F20 on a VM for a while now.
> >>
> >>  But make sure you're running VirtualBox 4.3.6
> > Thanks for the tip, I was on 4.3.4 . So I upgraded to 4.3.6, installed
> > the extension pack, and...  I still get a black screen after selecting
> > "install Fedora 20" from the Anaconda/syslinux boot menu.
> >

> That is odd.....
>
> FWIW, my F19 host is 64bit and I'm using the rpmfusion nVidia stuff to drive the host system video.  Also, I've only installed/tested F20 in 64 bit.

Same for me on all counts.

> When I select Install the screen goes black for about 5 seconds, then goes white for about 10 seconds and then black with scrolling messages.

That is what I see when I create a VM in virt-manager instead of
VirtualBox, but under VB, the screen goes black and never recovers.

> You have verified the checksums of the downloaded ISO's?

Yes, and the same ISO works fine under virt-manager. I actually got an
install completed. So I'm going to concentrate now on moving away from
VB altogether, which will require converting a couple of Windows VMs to
run under KVM instead of VB. I only used VB in the first place because
KVM really wasn't ready for prime time when Red Hat first started
supplying it. Performance was horrible. Now it's much better as a lot of
work has been done on it since then.

--Greg