F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Dec 30 18:34:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:24:07 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> An unintended consequence of no default MTA in f20 is no local
> deliver of system mail.  It IS possible to just ignore (or leave it
> to the logs) stuff going on in a desktop system, but services like
> logwatch are very helpful to maintain a healthy system.  Plus there
> is cron for regular tasks we like to perform.

If you want logwatch or have cron jobs with output you wish, feel free
to install a MTA and configure it.

> So no MTA seems good IF we can configure mailx to do the local
> deliveries.  I am kind of assuming that some changes to /etc/mail.rc
> might do part of the job.  Probably some /bin/sendmail script that
> maps sendmail arguments to a mailx call.  Plus if you DO install
> sendmail or postfix, it should undo this setup.

mailx is not a MTA.

> I suppose I should submit a bug report on this as the best way to get
> the developer's attention.
>
> But does anyone have any good recommendation(s) on how to do this? I
> kind of like no MTA on resource straped systems, but we need to
> address local delivery.

Those systems that need delivery can install a MTA. ;)

If you just want emails to go to another provider and your machine is
connected to the internet, ssmtp is a good option (very simple to
configure, just handles remote delivery).

kevin