lvm or btrfs? which is preferable (when, if applicable)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 20 00:50:34 UTC 2013

Am 20.01.2013 01:45, schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> F18 appears to give two options for installing from scratch: lvm or
> btrfs. Which one is better from the point of view of the longer-term.
>
> My current HDDs are ext4s. I switched then because I understood that
> this was the future.

BTRFS is NOT prodction ready

there is a reason why multiple times was decided
not make it the default FS and i would not use it
currently because my data are to important

i tested it in a VM some time ago
convert from ext4 to ntrafs was easy

some kernel upĆ¼dates later it was not possible to mount
the test-disk and so i rebootet with the last working
one to backup data, re-format with ext4 and this was
the last time for a very long time for me to try BTRFS
at all . my data are too important, it is not really faster
and in many environments you will have really perofromance
troubles with BTRFS (virtualization as exapple)

for zero or small benefit risk data - no thanks