Fedup fails fc17->fc18 on encrypted partition

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 15 16:43:01 UTC 2013

I tried to upgrade a system to fc18 using fedup. The root is encrypted. I first
updated fc17 to the latest packages and rebooted, then run fedup using a locally
mounted ISO image and "--network 18" which ran to uneventful conclusion. On
reboot the password was supplied and the system ran for about five hours (was
reading a book and checking every chapter or so), and after the next reboot the
system crashed during boot.

On a reboot the list of boot options appeared, but none continued, unable to
find a filesystem, and not ever asking for a LUKS password. A boot from recovery
drive showed no usable data on the internal drive, it was not marked as LUKS (as
far as I can tell), not password was requested, no filesystem was found, an
attempt to mount the partition manually resulted in no password prompt and no
filesystem identified.

With no working way to upgrade and about 17 more to do, if I have to back up and
hand install a new OS, it sure won't be Fedora, the upgrade process only works
about 50% of the time on unencrypted systems, and there seems no working path on
encrypted. The old "update" worked so reliably, can't the developers admit fedup
was a bad idea and and return to a sane update procedure?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   "'Nothing to hide' does not imply 'nothing to fear'"