Apparently Incomplete Fedup 18->19

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 28 14:37:07 UTC 2013

Tim Evans writes:

> Nearly everything seems to suggest that my fedup upgrade from F18 only
> partially F19 succeeded.
>
> $ cat /etc/fedora-release
> Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)
>
> $ head /var/log/boot.log
> [  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
> [  OK  ] Reached target Basic System.
>
> Welcome to Fedora 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)!
>
> But, the blue progress bar during bootup shows "Fedora 18."
>
> Kernel appears to be F18, though:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux harrier.xxx.com 3.9.11-200.fc18.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Jul 22 21:19:06
> UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> By way of additional info, after running fedup with no errors, I rebooted,
> picking the "Fedora Upgrade" option.  Then went to dinner. When I returned,
> the system was *powered completely down*.  Booting it revealed the F18
> message on the progress bar.
>
> yum update shows a string of "some-package.fc19 is a duplicate of same-
> package.fc18
>
> I don't see anything untoward in /var/log/fedup.log.  Seems whatever has
> happened occurred after the reboot into the upgrade.

If a kernel update wasn't done as part of the upgrade, the boot message will
still report F18, until the first F19 kernel update gets installed.

Running package-cleanup --cleandupes should remove the F18 package if an F19
package is already installed. Do that, then as long as the fedora-release
package was updated to F19, you should be able to run 'yum update', and
complete the upgrade.