Apparently Incomplete Fedup 18->19

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Sun Jul 28 22:20:17 UTC 2013

On 07/28/2013 10:37 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Tim Evans writes:
>
>> Nearly everything seems to suggest that my fedup upgrade from F18 only
>> partially F19 succeeded.
>>
>> $ cat /etc/fedora-release
>> Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)
>>
>> $ head /var/log/boot.log
>> [  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
>> [  OK  ] Reached target Basic System.
>>
>> Welcome to Fedora 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)!
>>
>> But, the blue progress bar during bootup shows "Fedora 18."
>>
>> Kernel appears to be F18, though:
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux harrier.xxx.com 3.9.11-200.fc18.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Jul 22
>> 21:19:06 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> By way of additional info, after running fedup with no errors, I
>> rebooted, picking the "Fedora Upgrade" option.  Then went to dinner.
>> When I returned, the system was *powered completely down*.  Booting it
>> revealed the F18 message on the progress bar.
>>
>> yum update shows a string of "some-package.fc19 is a duplicate of
>> same-package.fc18
>>
>> I don't see anything untoward in /var/log/fedup.log.  Seems whatever
>> has happened occurred after the reboot into the upgrade.
>
> If a kernel update wasn't done as part of the upgrade, the boot message
> will still report F18, until the first F19 kernel update gets installed.
>
> Running package-cleanup --cleandupes should remove the F18 package if an
> F19 package is already installed. Do that, then as long as the
> fedora-release package was updated to F19, you should be able to run
> 'yum update', and complete the upgrade.

It would appear the key part of my experience was finding the system
powered down with no indication as to why.  Long story short: it looks
like I have a hardware power issue and that almost nothing of F19 was
actually upgraded on the first round. I was able to re-run 'fedup'
successfully, reboot, get the FedUp option again, and a couple of
thousand upgrades got done. A half hour after completion however, I
again ran into power issues--neither AC nor battery power seems to work
now, so it appears the problem was external to 'fedup' and that I really
need a Lenovo repair shop, here in Baltimore. :=(

--
Tim Evans			|   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting	|   Owings Mills, MD 21117