fedup @ System Upgrade - time to complete?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Mar 9 21:20:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My initial effort at using fedup on my desktop (basic dual-core setup) failed
> with some sort of error message (I posted this previously, and apparently on
> bugzilla has indicated that it is a known bug).
>
> I have successfully used fedup (F17 -> F18) on an i386 laptop (I've also done
> a fresh F18 install on an x68_64 laptop). So, I've gotten through this.
>
> I saw that there was a fedup upgrade in updates-testing; it has been there
> for some time.
>
> I installed the updates-testing version of fedup on my desktop, and then
> proceeded with an F17->F18 upgrade.
>
> All required packages have been download (about 4100).
>
> I've rebooted (per instructions), hit "System Upgrade" on the GRUB menu.
>
> I then hit <ESC> so that I could see the messages to the screen instead of
> the thermometor reading (it's in the FedUp Wiki page).
>
> It's now at: upgrade-re[712]: starting upgrade-pre hook
>
> It's been at this point for some time; the harddrive like is flickering away
> throughout.
>
> My question is, how long should I expect this processs to continue before I
> get
> Upgrade[712]: Preparing for upgrade ...
>
> and all of the subsequent messages that I've gotten during the one prior
> successful execution of fedup (that I referenced above).

Ok, after all of this it looks as though my desktop system is unuseable.

The process finally finished with something like KERNEL PANIC, system
rebooting in 30 seconds.

I've rebooted several times trying to use one of the three F17 kernels;
none of them finish booting. One of the error messages that recurs is:
Failed to Recreate Volatile Files and Directories
See systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service

and

Failed to start Wait for plymouth Boot Screen to Quit See systemctl status
plymouth-quit-wait.service for details

Unfortunately, I can't get to a point where I can evaluate 'systemctl
status some.service'

Is there a way of recovering this system through a rescue procedure?

> Much thanks,
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz at brama.com

[recycle]