I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Nathan McCrina nfm at sprawl2kxx.net
Thu Mar 21 20:43:46 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 04:26 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> and how does SSL help you in the case of intrusion at the
> cloud-provider? hint: it does NOT
>
> SSL/TSL = TRANSPORT layer security
>
> as long you are only store ENCRYPTED data in the could while
> only on your local machine is the private key you are safe
>
> but this will not work with cloud based services because they
> can not do much with encrypted data and so if you are feel
> scure because SSL you are naive and the target of the cloud-hype

Disclaimer: I am not much of a fan of "the cloud" or SaaS at all.

I assumed from the OP's use of "sniffing" that what he was thinking of
specifically was a man-in-the-middle attack, the threat of which can be
minimized with, as you say, TRANSPORT layer security. I was not
addressing the security of the data once it's sitting on the server,
which as you point out is another can of worms.

I'm curious though, do you not use ATMs or the debit card checkout at
the grocery store? It seems like those would necessitate a public-facing
server of some kind and thus fall under the umbrella (hehe) of "the cloud".