Howto configure KDE to always open new windows?

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue May 7 21:45:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only options I can find in any browser would cause *all* links to open
> in new windows. As it is, if I follow a link from within the browser, I
> normally want it to open that link in a new tab. It's only links from
> outside the browser (eg from kmail) that I want to open in a new window
> because those links are normally not in the context of what I'm currently
> browsing.

Some browsers have a hidden pref that separately controls what happens
when links are opened in external programs.  For instance, in Firefox,
you can go to about:config and set the "rowser.link.open_external"
pref to "2" to force links from external programs to open in a new
window.

> I am a little surprised -- I was under the impression that one of KDE's
> defining features is that everything under the sun had a checkbox or
> adjustment in some settings dialog, but I'm finding a great number of
> annoying misfeatures that simply can't be changed.

It's definitely possible for KDE apps to coordinate on this, but that
wouldn't help you in Firefox and other GTK apps.  You can file a wish
at https://bugs.kde.org/ to ask for this feature; it's definitely
doable for KDE Frameworks 5 if someone is interested in doing so.

> In this case, the fix for opening editor files from Dolphin is an 80%
> solution for me, so I'm going to take that and be happy. Thanks again.

No problem.  :-)

-T.C.