Native Nvidia Optimus and Fedora 19

Powell, Michael Michael_Powell at mentor.com
Sun Sep 8 20:50:19 UTC 2013

>I'm considering buying a laptop with Nvidia Optimus, and this looks really bad! Have you managed to fix this issue? Did you get Fedora 19 to install? Do Ubuntu and Linux Mint work better with Nvidia Optimus graphics?

I gave up; I resigned myself to use bumblebee which works moderately well for the least amount of pain in the ass ...

My reasoning is that part of the problem, identified by Aaron Plattner of nVidia, was that there were some patches to X Server missing from 1.14.2 that Fedora 19 was using at the time. I say part of the problem, because although Aaron Plattner suggested a workaround for the missing patch, it did not work for me; therefore, I'm not completely certain my issue was really related to the specific issue he honed in on.

If you're one of the lucky few that bought an Optimus laptop after they started adding a BIOS option to select the nVidia hardware, you're quite fortunate, but I wasn't so lucky. I will try native nVidia support in the future, but most likely not until Fedora 20.