F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Jan 2 02:31:30 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 03:20 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>   UI always matters especially when we are talking about non technical
> users.  A typical non technical user would click on updates when the DE
> notifies them and nothing more complicated than that.

Again. A notification notifies the user, a mail notifies the user. I.e.
two different ways of notifying the user. The UI is totally irrelevant
in this case. The relevant part is the text message presented to the
user. This text message can come from a notification popping up on the
screen, or from a a mail, the UI does not matter at all.

> It is based on real life experiences dealing with them on a regular
> basis and development of distribution cannot be based on supporting
> strange choices from users.

So you think it is better that these mails, sent to root, is "lost",
i.e. never delivered to the user? Why?

> You cannot expect non technical users to do
> anything about third party repository failures.  Color me unconvinced by
> your example.

You missed the point. The point of the example was not fixing third
party repository failures. The point was that the user was informed
about an error that stopped yum from working.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/