Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 24 15:02:51 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 03:12 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 24 March 2014 12:45, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> /usr belongs on it`s own partition.  And last time I looked, it would
>> not be compliant with the FHS not to have what is needed in /bin and
>> /sbin but to use symlinks instead.
>

> I think that's a very 1980s, or early-1990s, way of looking at it.
C'mon, feeling something is oldfashioned is hardly an answer.

Having been able to have /usr on a separate partition was a valuable
feature, which now has gone lost. IMNSHO, ruined by naive, inexperienced
kids (to use the same tone as you did), who were overwhelmed by the
additional complexity supporting this feature had required.

> Since the normal way to boot a PC now is a complete functioning OS on
> a single removable-media volume - be that an optical disk or USB flash
> media - most of the rationale for splitting up  the bits of the /usr
> tree have long ceased to apply. The smallest hard disks available
> today (~500GB) are roughly 2 orders of magnitude bigger than is needed
> for a full Linux desktop install (~5GB).
Wrong. You are forgetting about systems booting from SD-Cards,
USB-sticks and other forms of non-volatile memory.

> It is not possible to buy a
> new computer without a graphical display.
Wrong. Most servers typically are headless, and if they have a graphic
card-build-in, it's usually inaccessible or unused.

> There is no need for separating out admin binaries, user binaries,
> local binaries, graphical binaries etc. any more, and hasn't been for
> about 2 decades.
Right, there is no strong necessity, nevertheless having these still
would make sense.

> I think it's a brilliant, if brave, idea of Fedora to get rid of a
> historical distinction that is now pointless, but it's planned and
> discussed and decided, as far as I know:
I disagree. IMNSHO, UsrMove was a prominent epic fail in the long
serious faulty decisions Fedora's leadership has committed.

Ralf