what causes: kernel:[38405.042543] do_IRQ: 0.81 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Oct 4 19:29:04 UTC 2014

Thanks again!

> 3.17 is the mainline kernel which is under actual development, and
> will be the stable kernel once released and updated. Soon after 3.17
> is released, the merge window opens, which is the time the developers
> are sending new patches to Linus. After 3.18-rc1 is released, the
> merge window closes, and usually only bug fixes are accepted then.
> Important fixes will be backported to the stable kernel trees, thus the
> different minor version number releases.

On a whim, I decided to try 3.17-rc7 from rawhide first. This appears
to bring the network back  on after a resume. It did it twice now. So
this issue has been alleviated at least somewhat. Fingers crossed, but
we shall see! No messages from irqbalance and no lockups also yet so
there is some hope for cautious optimism!:-)

> In short: the actual mainline kernel is the one which is most
> up-to-date (3.17 will be released soon..).
>
> > What I don't quite understand is that there seem to be no issues when
> > the system is rebooted. But issues arise only upon a wakeup from
> > hibernate. Which I did, as advised in the mailing list here, doing the
> > following:
> [....]
>
> With grub2, an additional "resume" boot parameter is not needed, as
> long as your swap partition is properly formatted (mkswap, swapon)
> and referred to in fstab when installing your kernel.

Is this true anymore? I thought this was gone with F20, and manual
intervention was needed, from what I understood from this thread:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/443589.html

However, the solution in the above thread is inaccurate. The correct
solution is here:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/443871.html

Anecdotally also, it appears to be true. Without the resume = UUID
stuff, it does not wake up from hibernate but goes on to reboot.

I formatted swap with the Anaconda installer. And I do have swapon.

$ swapon
NAME      TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/sda2 partition 15.6G   0B   -1

I would love it, if I did not have to play with grub to get hibernate
working.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ranjan