Yum update accident -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 11:59:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 03:37:58 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> I just ran yum update on this F-20 computer and I tried copying some
> warnings produced using the usual CTRL-c, my excuse is I just got out of
> bed and my dog is nagging me to go out.  :-(
>
> I restarted yum with "yum update" and the result is:

Truncated, unfortunately. Rule of thumb: if you ask about such problems,
provide full output.

>         Protected multilib versions:
> nss-softokn-freebl-3.17.2-1.fc20.i686 !=
> nss-softokn-freebl-3.17.1-2.fc20.x86_64
>
> What should I do to recover?

Show output of:

  yum list nss-softokn-freebl
  rpm -qa nss-softokn-freebl\*

Current state of your installation needs to be examined and compared
with what is available in the repositories.

nss-softokn-freebl-3.17.2-1.fc20 is a rather recent update (Oct 17th)
and usually is available for both x86_64 and i686 in the repo at the same
time. Sometime, user had installed the latest package for i686 without
installing the x86_64 build, and afterwards went on to accessing older
repository contents where only the previous version is available.
"yum clean metadata" then retrying sometimes fixes it together with
either another "yum update" or a "yum distro-sync" (which may downgrade
packages temporarily, however, so be careful!).