Fedora-21 firewall advice?

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sun Jan 18 12:44:15 UTC 2015

On 17.01.2015, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm presently using shorewall with iptables.
> Can shorewall be used with firewalld?

No, it shouldn't, since both eventually apply different iptables
rules.

> I'm surprised that I have never seen an article starting
> "In Fedora 21 you will have to choose between firewalld and iptables."

Unless I have severely misunderstood the whole concept, firewalld
relies on iptables.

Btw: shorewall is great, have been using it a long time (with some
minor modifications). Just disable firewalld entirely and keep
shorewall, firewalld won't protect you anyway if not configured after
install. An "iptables -L" after a fresh F21 install shows no
protection.