despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:40:04 UTC 2015

On 01/26/2015 04:49 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2015 21:17:55 Pete Travis wrote:
>> No, please don't do this.  Be honest with yourself about how frequently
>> you are willing to upgrade this server, and compare that to Fedora's
>> release cycle.  It doesn't match up.  I'm all for using Fedora, even in
>> apparently mission-critical situations like yours - but only if the
>> admin is willing to work with it as the relatively rapid release cycle
>> distribution that it is.
>>
>> An appropriate methodology could be:
>> +0 months  - Upgrade to Fedora 21 now.
>> +4 months  - When Fedora 22 is released, begin migration planning and
>> testing +10 months - By the time Fedora 23 is released, you should be ready
>> to migrate to F22, or you should have already done so.
>> +10 months - Begin migration testing and planning for F23
>> +16 months - Complete migration to F23
>>
>> If your workflow or circumstances can't accomodate more than a one year
>> lag, consider a distribution that has support cycles longer than one
>> year.  CentOS comes to mind, most of your knowledge will translate well.
>>
>> --Pete
> Pete,
>
> In an ideal world I agree with everything you say. However, this isn't an
> ideal world.
>
> Bear in mind that I'm replacing a Fedora 8 server. This is how often I update
> my servers.  These are non-public facing servers, and perform internal
> services.
>
> The whole point of installing F16 (I'm now installing F17 as it's still got
> mirrors working and still supports what I need) is because SAMBA have
> discontinued the feature that I need. I will never be upgrading this server.
>
> The reason I'm using Fedora is that I know Fedora and can use Fedora (even
> with all the changes between F8 and F17).
I would have to interject here to state that I believe Pete to be
correct. You could switch over to CEntOS and not miss a beat when it
comes to administering your server. The same commands you use in Fedora
are the same commands you'd use in CEntOS, yum....dnf....plus you can
tweak it to your heart's content.....and you could eliminate having to
worry about its upgrade cycle since its a bit less frenetic as
Fedora's.......just my two cents...

EGO II