Linux and Skype Video

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 17:27:09 UTC 2015

On 01/27/2015 11:35 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 27 January 2015, Mickey sent:
>> Fedora 20/KDE
>>
>> Can Fedora use a webcam on Skype ?
> I was using Mate on Fedora 20, but it worked for me.  And with less
> stuffing around than with Fedora 17, which required launching it from a
> script, pasted below.  I think I may be using 32 bit OS on 20, though.
> I can't remember.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> #  force 32 bit video for linux 1 compatiblity library for video for linux 2
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

that didn't work for me, and I haven't been able to use Skype in a long
time. No audio.. it used to crash the PAvolume control when I tried to
adjust it. Now it just doesn't have any sound.
$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

I tried yum provides v4l1compat.so, no match found.

--
Paul Cartwright