F21: Thunderbird insists on calling Fedora list messages junk!

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jul 28 18:29:40 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 11:17 AM, William wrote:

> I tried that.  No change; same behavior.  It also doesn't matter when I
> set the filter to be run.  I checked for other user filters; there are
> none.  I have several e-mail accounts in Thunderbird, but this problem
> shows up only for Fedora list messages, and only in the one e-mail
> account that I use for the Fedora list.  If I recall correctly, this
> problem started showing up in late spring.  Is anyone else seeing this
> behavior?  Is there something in the Fedora list message headers that is
> bugging Thunderbird's spam-checking code, and can be adjusted?  This
> seems to not be a Thunderbird issue and not a Fedora issue, but a Fedora
> list issue.

Try this: remove the filter completely and close the list of filters.
Then, reopen the list and create a new filter, giving it a different
name and typing in the email address from scratch instead of using
Copy/Paste.  It sounds a tad heavy-handed, but there's a possibility
that there's a non-printing character stuck in there that's fscking
things up.

Back when I did Windows support for an ISP, there were times that simply
removing and replacing the user's password for Dial-Up didn't work.
Having the caller use the Backspace key to remove the password and
holding it down for at least a second after the box was cleared did.
No, I don't know if there were invisible characters there, but it's as
good an explanation as any.