nvidia driver

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 05:15:03 UTC 2015

On 8 June 2015 at 18:45, François Patte:

> I think that it was the problem... Now it works, but yum installed also
> kmod-nvidia, which seems to me as something useless if akmod is supposed
> to compile the module on the fly if it is missing or if a new kernel is
> installed...
>
> BTW why kernem-devel package is not in the dependencies of akmod and/or
> of dkms?

akmod-nvidia already requires kernel-devel (that matches the currently
running kernel):
$ dnf repoquery --requires akmod-nvidia
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:06:09 ago on Tue Jun  9
07:01:23 2015.
/bin/sh
akmods
kmodtool
/usr/bin/kmodtool
nvidia-kmod-common >= 1:346.72
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc >= 1:346.72

$ dnf repoquery --requires akmods | grep kernel
kernel-devel-uname-r
$ dnf repoquery --whatprovides kernel-devel-uname-r
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:06:29 ago on Tue Jun  9
07:01:23 2015.
kernel-debug-devel-0:4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64
kernel-devel-0:4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64
kernel-debug-devel-0:4.0.4-303.fc22.x86_64
kernel-devel-0:4.0.4-303.fc22.x86_64

The same goes for dkms (albeit it only requires kernel-devel rather
than the more specific kernel-devel-uname-r):
$ dnf repoquery --requires dkms | grep kernel
kernel-devel

Note that dkms has nothing to do with akmod* stuff, AFAIK.

[...]

--
Ahmad Samir