workstation spin

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 14 23:45:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 19:17:05 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 10:40:03PM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> I understand the parsimony of the live image, but why isn't there a
>> full fledged workstation iso available anymore? Or is there and I just
>> missed it?
>
> There's no reasonble way to distribute media with all of the software
> that someone might consider a necessary part of "full fledged". It just
> ends up being a game of "why doesn't this have what I want, and why does
> it have this other thing I don't instead?" And, since we tend to have a
> lot of updates, it's nice to get whatever's freshest when you go to
> first install it, rather than install and update.
>
> Maybe we can step back a bit here. What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> --
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader

Sorry for the delayed response. What I'm saying is that if there is a
live workstation iso, then there should be also a full workstation iso
that contains the development suite (as we know it from the recent past).
I understand the development suite cannot/need not be included in the
live iso, but it certainly can be included on a 4.3G dvd. And people can
download the image and install without the media, as I've been doing for
as long as that method has been available.

This is just my preference, because I feel more comfortable having all
the packages I need on my local disk first, then install from there, so I
don't depend on the network during install. But, if the trend is to
provide a minimal install, then I guess we'll just have to live with that.