Thunderbird blinking browser notice -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Jun 30 21:31:57 UTC 2015

On 29/06/15 17:33, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/30/15 00:12, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>> My systems are always configured to look the same from version to version as much as possible. I pretty much keep making the same "changes" based on my notes and a lot of saved files. I don't recall when this problem started, I ignored it at first.
> And therein lies the problem.   If this happened after an update you'd easily be able to back-out the changes and determine which one made the difference.  Since the flashing is happening in a "system" panel it is may be a change to a xfce component rather than anything related to T-Bird, IMO.
>
> One thing you can do, if you have time on your hands.:-)
>
> Install F22 from a Live image to a VM.  Make the changes to your system to get the look you want.  Take a "snapshot" of the working system.  Then do a "distro-sync" and confirm you get a blinking notice.  If you do, restore the "snapshot" and then start selectively updating packages.

I installed Fedora-22 XFCE Live on another hard drive, /dev/sdc.

Then dnf installed Firefox and Thunderbird to that system.

Clicking on a URL in Thunderbird caused Firefox to pop up, "stealing the
window."

I then used xfce Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Focus and checked
"Do nothng." That stopped Firefox from "stealing the window," producing
the blinking browser notification instead.

The only changes I made other than that were to get a high contrast
theme, larger fonts, switch the screen saver to blank and killed the
lock function.

The system has not been dnf updated yet, mostly as-is out-of-the-box ...
So now I have effectively created a third computer that does the same
thing as the other two, it is essentially unmodified but still produces
the blinking notice that no one else sees!

What do I need to look at to define the cause? I suspect that it is
beyond my skill set and as I said earlier I am resigned to just putting
up with it if it is unique to my configuration.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD