OT: but could be useful to other users also

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:03:27 UTC 2015

On 10/18/2015 08:06 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 18 October 2015, jd1008 sent:
>> I understand, but I am puzzled why there are cables (as Ed showed)
>> that have USB A on one end and eSata on the other, without any
>> protocol converter in between.
> Well, I would guess it's either what I said (there's some circuitry
> embedded in one or both of the connectors on the cable) or what Ed said
> (the hardware has dual-functionality - in which case I'd only connect
> the unusual conversion cable to these particular devices, not attempting
> it with something else).
>
> Kind of like the dual-mode USB/PS2 mice and keyboards.  They came with
> an adaptor plug so you could plug it into either the USB or PS/2 port.
> Sometimes the adaptor had electronics that converted USB to PS/2,
> emulating the PS/2 mouse or keyboard (so any USB mouse or keyboard could
> be plugged in a PS/2 port on the computer).  Sometimes the mouse or
> keyboard was dual-purpose, and the adaptor was just one socket wired to
> the plug, and the mouse of keyboard changed the way it worked depending
> on it detecting how it was connected (so these adaptors were only of any
> use with those particular mice and keyboards).
>
> My understanding of it is that USB and SATA are electrically different,
> never mind different in the technique used for how the data goes down
> the line.  I seriously would not expect to be able to simply connect any
> USB device to any SATA host, or vice versa, by using a cable with
> nothing other than different plugs at each end.

OK, so I went back to searching and found this item:

http://www.newertech.com/products/esatatousb3.php

It internal converts eSata to usb3.0 protocol.
So, all I need are the cables:
male eSata - on both ends.
USB-A connector on one end and Micro-B USB 3.0 connector on the other.

The item then does the protocol conversion.

Thanx to all.