PCI-e SSD recommendation for a F22 machine

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Sep 4 14:58:20 UTC 2015

> If I take the traditional computing scheme, such as compiling the Linux
> kernel, much of the need is to also have fast storage in the code source
> tree.
>
> Depending on what compiler you use and what option you give it, the I/O
> generated by object files (just an example) would kill your performances.

Good point. Perhaps, one way to get around this is to also move executables and libraries generated by me to the "System" side of things, using perhaps a make install.

I used gcc with -O3 or -Ofast. Any suggestions on this?

> My suggestion would be to leave the system on the "slow disk", as you
> boot one time, and put the source tree either in "tmpfs" or SSD.

Any suggestions of a specific PCI-e SSD. I would prefer 128 GB or something not larger than that.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

> HTH
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.