Recreating SMB printer -> PDF -> input program

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 14:12:56 UTC 2015

On Thursday 10 September 2015 13:11:14 Ed Greshko wrote:

> > 1) the printer is not storing the file in the directory specified. I set
> > up the connection as cups-pdf:/var/spool/cups-pdf/created but it stored
> > the file in /root/Desktop/
>
> Are you saying that in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf you changed the default
>
> Out ${DESKTOP}      (which on my system causes the pdf to be placed on the
> calling user's Desktop) to
> Out /var/spool/cups-pdf/created  ?
>
> And then restarted the cups service

No, I added the path to the connection field in system-config-printers as per
the web page I was following.

I've now updated the config as you suggested. I now have the line

OUT /var/spool/cups-pdf/created

however, when I did a test print it put the file as

/var/spool/cups-pdf/root/job_4281-Test_Page.pdf

(I turned on tagging too as the eventual use of this will see people all
printing the same named report

> > 2) I can't see any method of being able to trigger a program to handle
> > the newly created file.
>
> How did you see this working?  Somehow click on a file and be able to send
> it to the PDF print queue and then fed to an email client?

The old smb.conf section used to look like:

[t-cards]
  comment = T-Cards document library submissions
  path = /var/spool/t-cards
  browseable = yes
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  writeable = no
  printable = yes
  users = gary
  force user = gary
  force group = gary
  valid users = gary
  print command
= /usr/bin/smb_to_t-cards '/var/spool/t-cards/' '%f' '%J' '%m' '%s' '%p' '%c' '%z'

Once Samba had finished receiving the file it called the command smb_to_tcards
script which then the required processing. This is what I want to recreate.