mpg123 not included, why?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 11 16:35:15 UTC 2016

Allegedly, on or about 11 January 2016, Philip Brown sent:
> bad past experience, could have been livna, it was a long time ago and
> I never used it since. I imagine it should be a lot better now,
> however seeing as I only need these few files I prefer just to
> download them rather than having an extra repo system.  The updates
> for these rpms are few and far between (last updates were Sept 2014
> and May 2015) so it does not really add much to my workload.

Kinda hard to relate ancient experience to what might happen now, one
doesn't necessarily demand the other.

But still, there are easier and better ways to do it than force
hand-unpacked files from an archive onto a system.  Such as:

Download the few rpm files that concern you,
then use yum localinstall with those files (or dnf).

They're installed properly, then.  And if other files are needed at the
same time, yum will get them, too.  The files are in the database so
that other things are aware of their presence.  And they're easily
removed, without breaking other things.

It's just not a good idea to jam in files.  It's an even worse idea to
advise someone to do it.  More so if it's not given with full warning.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages